This year’s Wavescape Festival boasts a bumper line-up of film and art events, with a record 20 feature and 11 short films at four venues around Cape Town, from Clifton to Masiphumelele, as well as Art Board exhibition and charity auction and Slide Night, where some of South Africa’s top watermen, scientists and activists will speak for 10 minutes each about their experiences with the ocean and show film or photos to illustrate talk.
WAVESCAPE ART BOARD 2012: 29 November – 5 December
Ten artists. Ten surfboards.
Brett Murray has stepped out from his ordeal in the wake of the Zuma spear incident to decorate one of 10 specially shaped surfboards for Art Board 2012, one of the events in this year’s Wavescape Festival. The Missing Link surfboard, based on a shape by the father of surfing in the Cape, John Whitmore, comes from a time between the long and short board eras when surfing was moving from the old to the new.
Adding their weight to the charity project are internationally acclaimed photographer Guy Tillim, who rejoins the crew, while newcomers Roger Ballen and Wim Botha add some serious cultural power to the creative juices. Other artists include tattooist Manuela Gray, and illustrator and artist Mr Fuzzy Slipperz (aka Lisolomzi Pikoli)
The boards are on show at Superette from 29 November to Wednesday 5 December, when the charity auction takes place. Proceeds from the auction will go to the NSRI, Shark Spotters and the Isiqalo Foundation’s Waves for Change programme.
Information on Art Board 2012, individual artists and the boards can be found here
WAVESCAPE SLIDE NIGHT: 13 December
Ten legends. One night.
On at Superette at the Woodstock Exchange, Slide-Night is where you get to mingle with some of South Africa’s top watermen, scientists and activists. The evening adds an entertaining but educational touch to our interaction with the ocean as 10 prominent ocean figures speak for 10 minutes each about their experiences with the ocean. Each speaker will show film or photos to illustrate their talk.
This informal, fun gathering will include beer breaks during the evening and a DJ to close. A detailed list of presenters can be found here
WAVESCAPE FILM FESTIVAL: 29 November + 8 – 17 December
The Wavescape Film Festival, presented by Pick n Pay, with support from Billabong, Save Our Seas Foundation and Jack Black, kicks off for on night on 29 November with an outreach screening in Masiphumelele township near Kommetjie, then from 8 to 17 December at Clifton (free open air screening), the Brass Bell in Kalk Bay and the Labia in Cape Town.
MASIPHUMELELE (Free) – Thursday, 29 November – 7pm
- Water from the moon | Raw
CLIFTON FOURTH BEACH (Free) – Saturday, 8th December – 8pm
- Your place in the clouds | Dark side of the lens | Johnny Neon | Code Red | Here and Now
*BRASS BELL (R35) – Sunday, 9 – Wednesday 12 December – 9pm
- 9 December: The Fathoms left to fall | Day at the pool | Desert Rebels | North of the sun
- 10 December: Dark side of the lens | Goddess Island | Bending Colors | Raw
- 11th December: Perfect Holiday | Your place in the clouds | David Lilienveld | Wright Side of Wrong | Sally
- 12th December: Le Connexion | Water from the moon | Code Red | Through the whisky barrel
LABIA (R35) – Thursday, 13 to Monday, 17 December – 6pm & 8pm
- 13 December, 6pm: The Shaper | 30 Days without Surfing | Diamond light was in my eyes | Gauchos Del Mar
- 13 December, 8pm: Le Connexion | Water from the moon | Code Red | Here &Now
- 14 December, 6pm: Perfect Holiday | Bending Colors | Water from the moon | Through the whisky barrel
- 14 December, 8pm: Sine Qa Non | Minds in the water
- 15 December, 6pm: The Fathoms left to fall | ACAB | Goddess Island | Raw
- 15 December, 8pm: Johnny Neon | North of the sun | This Time Tomorrow
- 16 December, 6pm: Dark side of the lens | 30 Days without Surfing | Desert Rebels | Intentio
- 16 December, 8pm: Immersion
- 17 December, 6pm: Taylor Jenson Movie | Bending Colors | Day at the Pool | Sally
- 17 December, 8pm: Your place in the clouds | Dark side of the lens | David Lilienveld | Through the whisky barrel | 3 Wheels
Information on the movies, as well as short trailers for each, can be found here