In Cape Town you can easily pay a fortune for lunch or dinner with a great view. But you don’t have to. If you’re watching your budget, make like the locals and head for these five fine restaurants with a view that won’t break the bank.
1. Dunes in Hout Bay is a true local favourite. While tourists flock to Mariner’s Wharf, also a good choice, families lap up the generous portions and kid-friendly atmosphere at this charming beachfront spot with views over Hout bay and the famous Chapmans Peak Drive. Expect fish and chips, wood-fired pizzas and excellent grills. There’s even a sushi bar and a wine list of top-notch local estates, all at fair prices.
2. Also boasting a grand seaside view is Kalky’s. This no-frills joint in Kalk Bay harbour offers superb fish and chips at rock-bottom prices. Order at the counter, grab a wooden table overlooking the harbour and wait for the waitress to shout your order number. If you’re feeling broke, and adventurous, try the fried yellowtail head and chips for just R20. In summer Kalky’s offers perhaps the cheapest crayfish (lobster) in town; a steal at R165.
3. Rhodes Memorial is a popular stop on the tourist trail along Table Mountain, but few visitors discover the charming Rhodes Memorial Restaurant situated behind the granite monolith. It’s a fuss-free menu of café-style food, but the outdoor tables offer superb views out over the city.
4. The glamorous Atlantic Seaboard stretching from Green Point to Camps Bay is never going to be a place for bargain hunters, but Sotano, near the Mouille Point lighthouse, does a great Sunday breakfast with a side order of sea views. After your Eggs Benedict join the locals for a stroll on the stunning Sea Point promenade.
5. The Roundhouse, on Kloof Nek Road towards Camps Bay, has some of the best restaurant views in Cape Town… but at fine dining prices. If it’s out of your league, pull in to the neighbouring Rumbullion at lunchtime to soak up the same views for a fraction of the price: a Cajun beef and tzatziki open sandwich is yours for just R80.