1. Visit www.uber.com and sign up for an account or download the Uber app on your smartphone.
2. Fill out Uber’s member form with your name, mobile number, email address and billing information (credit card or VCPay).
3 .Read the terms and conditions (wink wink) and know what you’re getting yourself into. No really, read it.
4. Once you click the “Sign Up” button, you’ll be sent an email to confirm your information and activate the account.
Whew. You’ve done the hardest part — it’s all smooth sailing from here. To request a ride, first select the type of ride you’d like:
– UberX: an everyday car (the cheapest option) for up to four people
– UberBLACK: Uber’s original service delivers a high-end sedan for up to four
– UberXL vehicles for larger groups up to 6 people.
5 .Next, enter your pickup address (or use a pin to mark the spot) and hit the “Set Pickup Location” button. Confirm your payment details are correct and watch your designated driver approach via GPS. A fare estimator tells you how much you can expect to pay.
6 .Be ready and waiting for your driver as he or she arrives — there’ll be a number you can call if you need to give them any special instructions. Moving to another spot creates confusion. If there are no Uber drivers available, try again in a couple of minutes.
7. If you need to cancel your reservation, do it quickly — your card will be charged if you wait more than five minutes.
8. Hop in and head to your destination.
9. While the Uber sign-up process is fairly seamless, we recommend doing it before you head out for a night on the town so you’re not trying to input billing info when it’s 02h00 and you’re balancing your phone and a drink in your hands.
10. Be sure to rate your driver with five stars if you’re happy with the service. Remember: a four-star rating or less will damage your driver’s reputation and he or she may not be allowed to drive for Uber again in future.
Find out more about how Uber works here